Summer is just around the corner, and there are plenty of things to do and see around town! Here are few ways to make the most of your summer vacation in Charleston…
Explore the Arts
• Enjoy a variety of performances and exhibits by local and national artists. The Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto festivals run May 27th – June 12th, and many events are free to attend.
• Peruse Gallery Row with other art lovers. First Friday Art Walks take place on Broad St. (steps from our front door), and summer installations will be June 3rd, July 1st and August 5th.
• The Charleston Music Hall has a lot to offer this summer as well, including a new variety show (show opens in July).
• Learn more about Charleston’s sweet grass basket tradition during the Charleston Museum’s basket weaving workshop (June 11th).
Spoleto Performances from Yester-Year, Photo from Facebook
Take a Tour
• Historic homes, like The Governor’s House Inn, abound in downtown Charleston, and you should make a point to go visit some. The Historic Foundation has opened two houses to the public, and tours are extremely affordable.
• Seasonal tours, like the Sunset Sail aboard the Schooner Pride, are another great way to see the city.
Get Your Feet Wet
• Charleston summers can be rather warm, but the breeze at Waterfront Park is spectacular! We recommend dipping your toes in the Pineapple Fountain, which is open for wading year round.
• With complimentary on-site parking, many of our guests opt to take a day trip to the beach. The Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island and Folly Beach are all a short drive away.
Celebrate the 4th
• Did you know that The Governor’s House Inn was owned by the youngest signer of the Declaration of Independence? Why not celebrate America’s birthday by booking a stay in our Independence Suite!
• Patriots Point hosts South Carolina’s largest 4th of July celebration. You can board the Yorktown with other party goers or simply watch the fireworks over Charleston Harbor from a rooftop bar downtown.
Ready to start planning your summer vacation? Peruse available rooms at The Governor’s House Inn online, or contact our innkeeper to learn more.