Imagine a business, physical and social environment where your technology company can thrive. That’s what you’ll find in the Charleston Digital Corridor. The CDC is a creative effort to attract, nurture and promote Charleston’s knowledge economy. The goal is to offer tangible resources to the business economy by serving as a portal to government, infrastructures, real estate, education, venture capital, professional resources and a trained workforce. This is all accomplished through a combination of technology-enabled initiatives and business incentives, private business support and member-driving programming. Made up of geographic areas or “districts,” the Charleston Digital Corridor offers a diverse range of options to meet the size, personality, price and infrastructure requirements for all types of knowledge-based industries.
- Gateway District
- The Gateway District presents the opportunity for risk-takers and entrepreneurs to be rewarded. It’s becoming a choice business location through unique public-private partnerships. An area with unparalleled interstate access, opportunities are presenting themselves in the Gateway District like they never have before.
- University District
- Home to the College of Charleston, the Medical University of South Carolina and the Citadel, the University District is in walking distance of public parks, cultural venues, shopping and dining. Historic neighborhoods and outstanding commercial locations are also nearby. There are 18th and 19th century properties in the University District that would allow you to dine on the first floor, work on the second floor and reside on the third floor.
- Cainhoy District
- The Cainhoy District is Charleston’s new frontier since the annexation of Daniel Island in 1990. Its growing success can be attributed to several factors like state-of-the-art infrastructure, unparalleled location, high quality public services, waterfront access, and a beautiful corporate campus on Daniel Island. The Cainhoy District is home to some of the larger software companies in the Corridor.
- Wharf District
- How much more compelling can a business destination be? The Wharf District sits along the Charleston Harbor, with world-class dining, shopping, culture and entertainment. It’s home to a number of small to medium knowledge-based companies.
- Auxiliary District
- The Charleston Digital Corridor offers membership and services to select companies in Charleston, Dorchester and Berkeley counties. Both the Corridor and Auxiliary companies benefit from the expanded region-wide network of knowledge-based businesses.
The CDC also assists companies with professional office needs. Commercial opportunities include 18th and 19th century historic structures with 21st century technology infrastructure.
History of the Charleston Digital Corridor
Founded in 2001 by Ernest Andrade, the Charleston Digital Corridor has been recognized nationally as a model for knowledge-based, economic development and has been emulated by several cities across the county. Ernest Andrade currently serves as Director, with Carolyn Finch serving as the Program Manager.
The Charleston Digital Corridor Foundation is a 501(c)6 non-profit corporation. It supports the development of the Charleston Digital Corridor through an expanded array of programming and networks to benefit Charleston’s knowledge-based economy. If you’re considering establishing a presence within the Corridor, the CDC occasionally hosts visitors. Contact Ernest Andrade at 843.724.3773 if you are interested in obtaining more information. Don’t forget to stay with the Governor’s House Inn while visiting Charleston! Click here to learn more about our historic and elegant bed and breakfast accommodations. Photo courtesy of: Ron Cogswell