Summer is in full swing, and there is nothing quintessentially more summer than vacation or the 4th of July. This year combine both for the ultimate summertime experience!
Many history buffs flock to Boston or DC for America’s birthday, but there are certainly other ways to get your historical fix on Independence Day. A July 4th vacation to Charleston, SC may be particularly appealing to those who prefer to avoid peak tourist season.
If you enjoy the “road less traveled” consider visiting historical downtown Charleston this July, and retrace the footsteps of a founding father. Edward Rutledge, a Charleston native and South Carolina congressional representative, was the youngest signer of the Declaration of Independence. Mr. Rutledge served in both the First and second Continental Congress, and in 1776, at the age of 27, he signed the Declaration. He was considered by the British to be such a threat that he was captured and imprisoned after the fall of Charleston in 1780. Mr. Rutledge continued to be a highly influential figure in American politics after his release and was elected Governor in 1798.
From 1776 until his death in 1800, Edward Rutledge resided at what is now known as the “Governor’s House.” Today the home is considered to be a national landmark, and it serves a Bed and Breakfast. A portrait of Rutledge hangs in the foyer of the home along with a copy of the Declaration of Independence.
And if history isn’t enough to draw you into the Holy City this summer, check out a few of the local festivities that are sure to please!
Local 4th of July Celebrations
- Craft Brews Cruise - Enjoy a special July 4th harbor cruise aboard the Carolina Belle.
- Patriots Point 4th of July Blast – Take in live music and a spectacular fireworks display aboard the USS Yorktown.
- July 4th Cross Country 5k – Running enthusiasts can visit Trophy Lake on Johns Island for a festive 5k.
- Uncle Sam Jam – Spend the evening shagging to beach music at the Mt. Pleasant pier.
- Spend an evening in the Market – Check out local artists, food vendors and designers at the Historic Charleston City Market.
- Watch fireworks over the harbor from Waterfront Park or a rooftop bar.
Book your July 4th weekend today, and take advantage of our summer special!